Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Food, Inc.

If any of you missed the PBS broadcast of Food, Inc. this week you can still see it on-line here until tomorrow night at midnight.

I think this movie might be, or has the possibility to be, to the industrialized food industry what the book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair was to the meat packaging industries in the early 1900's. It is really so crazy that we have NO idea how our food is made or where it comes from. I've already been on the "edge" of radically changing my family's eating habits for quite some time and I think this movie defiantly just put me over the "edge".

This is really worth your time.... and I'd love to hear what you think about it.

6 comments:

Naomi Carmen Witcher said...

i don't know that i want to see more than this 3 minute clip. LOL. isn't ignorance bliss? i may not eat ever again if i knew the truth, i can barely eat peanut butter because of a story my sister told me a friend of hers experienced when visiting a peanut butter making factory. just thinking about it makes me gag ... so i think i'd rather stay ignorant than not to ever enjoy food anymore. maybe one of these days i'll brave it!

Lani said...

We watched it on PBS last week. I think everyone should watch it. As sad, disgusting, and difficult as it is, I think it's so incredibly important. (Brought back a lot of memories from reading Fast Food Nation about seven year ago.) But I was also frustrated with some misrepresentations in the film... I think I may address them in a blogpost myself. :-)

Katrina said...

We watched this awhile ago and I was excited that PBS showed it because I think everyone needs to see it. We are SO disconnected from our food!

Misty said...

Not that this has anything to do with your food post but I have had multiple dreams lately where you have disliked me and wouldn't talk to me and was mad that you had to be around me. I hope that they don't represent real life! Because I really like you! Anyway. You're cute. Bye

Janet said...

I have been finding the importance of certain vitamins and minerals in preserving eyesight and boosting immune systems from my doctors. This has been interesting to me, especially to add vegetables and meats as good sources of these nutrients
As part of your thinking you need to read D&C 49:18-19. It's pretty blunt. But looking for better sources is an excellent idea.
Love you, Janet

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Janet,

Thanks for those scriptures I think they are very wise. I'm not planning on going vegetarian, but just finding new food sources for meat. Things that are grown locally and not in mass production. The part of D&C 49:21 that really rings with me is... "... wo be to man that shedeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need."

I feel like my current attitude towards meat is too wasteful, that I don't really appreciate the sacrifice that the animals make for me and I want to change that.